-
August 9th, 2002, 05:58 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Yes, I shot couple tests during Spring 2002 with really cheap camera (Lomo Aurora 219 (fixed focus, only speed is 18 fps), costed me one Euro (0.9 USD) at local flea market), which I converted to 16:9 by filing the film gate.
Here is the first mpg-file (over 7 Mb), I transfer first with WP-3 at 16:9 format and then transfer to mpg1-format (4:3, so material is letterboxed, but all you see is also in the normal 16:9 frame):
http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/super8widescreen.mpg
Tip: Download the file at the first for your harddisk and after that just play it with your viewer software.
Here are also two frames in jpg-format with their original resolution (1024x576, PAL 16:9):
http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/super8widescreen.jpg
http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/super8widescreen2.jpg
As you might notice there are some little vertical scratches, meaning the gate wasn't 100% properly finnished. At the end of film there aren't any scratches, so during shooting the film has polished the surface of film gate.
So, I'm very satisfied for my result of this test and I'll start to filing also my other cameras in the future and perhaps do totally one new 2.66:1 film gate for one of them (perhaps for Bauer 709/715) to test also that Hyper-8 mm thing.
Note: you can still use that same camera also for normal 4:3 shots, even you have filed the gate!
_________________
Best Regards
Jukka Sillanpaa
www.sorb-i-tol.com
-
August 9th, 2002, 06:22 PM
#2
Inactive Member
That's a nice clip.
How did you transfer it? It looks great on mpeg.
The lighting looks just perfect with the cat scene. What time of day did you shoot it at?
Good job!
Jeffery
-
August 10th, 2002, 02:13 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Very nice indeed. That cat had me cracking up out loud as it appears has though the frame rate jumped up a bit at the purrrfect moment - when he (or she) flips over.
So...
Kodachrome?
Transfer method?
etc., etc....
Beautiful lens flare too I thought.
-
August 10th, 2002, 07:26 AM
#4
Inactive Member
I shot it during April 2002, midday with totally junk super 8 camera (russian Lomo Aurora 219), that's why these jumpping frames and other problems (= these colors, but I like them too!).
The film was K40 (these bad ones, also one reason for some problems I think), the transfer I did with my great Workprinter-3 machine and Sony PC-100 mini-dv videocamera.
As I wrote earlier I modified the film gate of Aurora to try out, what kind of widescreen ratio I'll get (it's 1.51:1) using super 8 format and this method.
Here is more info about the whole test:
http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/...fc0346eb45b0f6
-
August 10th, 2002, 07:36 PM
#5
Inactive Member
here is the whole frame with guide lines and without them.
http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/thewholeframe1.jpg
http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/thewholeframe2.jpg
The true aspect ratio is about 1.51:1 against 1.77:1 (16:9).
What about possible 8x3 mm film gate in Hyper 8mm idea, is WP suitable to show that whole image, what do you think Roger?
I think, WP cannot do it, 8 mm is too wide, maybe 7 mm x 2.63 mm?
I have to check it out and I let you know.
Here is a drawing about formats with dimensions: regular 8, super 8 and this "super 8 widescreen" idea, I used to shot this test clip.
http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/8mmformats.jpg
-
August 11th, 2002, 02:24 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Here is a question---What about recentering the lens??? When I shoot 1.33 with my S16 camera the lens port needs to be changed. Do you think that under a "proper" S8 camera conversion to this system the lens would need to do the same???
-
August 11th, 2002, 02:54 PM
#7
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jukkasil:
I think, WP cannot do it, 8 mm is too wide, maybe 7 mm x 2.63 mm?
</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
It just depends on how much I widen the gate and which gate is used. There are some gates for these units that don't have a lot of metal left over after widening out past the normal super 8 picture area. Others have plenty. I would need to know in advance as the gates are unique to particular chassis, even though these GAFs all look the same to the untrained eye. Also, I think that the "Hyper8" opening out past the edges would be confined to the basic WorkPrinter that transfers at only 1fps, since losing pressure on the edges of the film would leave it susceptible to buckling at higher transfers speeds than 1fps. The slower speed would allow the film to "seat" properly before being copied to the hard drive.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nigel:
What about recentering the lens???</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a good question and will probably be different from one camera to the next, depending on the size of the circle of illumination each camera lens generates. The Fuji-ZC100 I have has a fairly large circle of illumination (COI). However, other cameras I've taken apart have a much smaller COI. Also, depending on the design of the lens, the size of the COI will change with the zoom setting. Longer focal lenghts can sometimes increase the size of the COI while wider angle shots will minimize it drastically. On other zooms, the COI stays constant due to internal masking at the back of the lens barrel. Theoretically, ALL lens change the size of the COI when going to telephoto, which is why Super 16 can generally work with standard 16mm telephoto lenses than it can with normal or wide standard 16mm lenses. But, again, some lenses have internal masking at the rear that prevents the light from expanding and bouncing around in the film chamber.
Roger
-
August 12th, 2002, 06:32 AM
#8
Inactive Member
"Is it just me or is there a faint line where the modification shows on the Super 8 film? When looking at the clip all I can notice is the faint blurred line on the right edge. Is this where the sound stripe starts?"
Not exactly. that's the vertical scratch still existed in some frames cause of filing the gate, but I don't think it's in the right position where sound stripe starts, but very near anyway.
"If so then it doesn't seem like your adding a whole lot to the image through your mod. I don't want to sound like I'm dissing. I think your idea is excellent and if perfected might want to know how to modify my Nizo 6080. I agree with a previous post though, I want to see exactly on film what is being added and why there is that line in the final image???"
That line doesn't exist anymore, it was just little needle at film gate surface, that made these lines.
Have you already check my still images of th whole frame?
http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/thewholeframe2.jpg
That frame is shot direct from WP's lens, where you can see the whole frame.
There isn't any film left, I exposed the whole area. Maybe I'd use the space more from left, but then you'd see also little part of sprocket holes in final frame, maybe not at TV-monitor (It would be outside of safety area), but during editing footage with your PC.
Here is that same frame with guide lines showing the area I used in that mpg-file (of course at top and bottom you'll lose little space cause of different aspect ratio 1,51:1 at my test, 1,77:1 at normal 16:9 frame)
I just made one image more, where I put some arrows, do you mean this line?
http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/thewholeframe3.jpg
-
August 12th, 2002, 07:48 AM
#9
Inactive Member
I also think that the image on the right of frame looks a little out of focus. Although this is not a big problem in itself I would be a little reluctant to make that kind of modification on a good camera fo the small amount of extra frame. I would also like to know if I would have to file the gate on my projector?
-
August 12th, 2002, 08:45 AM
#10
Inactive Member
I'm not sure about that out of focus thing (have to check original material better at home), of course there could be a problem with lens centering when you file gate, but as Roger wrote, every camera has different size of the circle of illumination, so you'd be lucky with camera!
About Lomo Aurora, it hasn't a real lens at all, only piece of transparent plastic (acryl I think) as a "lens", so it's very cheap construction and cause of that there will be these kind of problems much easily.
I think I have to make more tests and now with much better camera, like Bauer, I have both 709 and 715, so I'd modify one gate and I'm still having one normal to share with both cameras.
One tip: Buy a broken camera (same model) as a spareparts and modify its gate to widescreen, then do a test with it, so you can be sure if it work or not and you're still having normal gate.
Anyway you can also use widescreen gate shooting normal 4:3 stuff, so that isn't so big risk at all.
Regards
Jukka Sillanpaa
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks